Saturday 3 December 2016

Bog Inn - Waihaha Hut (18km)

Woke up in the middle of the night covered head to toe in sweat - luke and I had shared a bed so that others could also stay in the hut but that combined with not wanting to take any layers off because of the mozzys, and the fire finally being lit, we were roasting! And despite keeping the layers on to prevent it, we still woke up covered in bites anyway!


After eventually getting a couple hours rest it was difficult to pluck ourselves out of bed but thankfully we FINALLY had some sunshine so we found our motivation in the end. 


It took us two and a half hours to summit - we spent the whole morning excited that the skies were clear so we might get a good view from the top but when we got there, the trees surrounding us were so tall all we could see was the sky above them anyway! We did catch a few sights of Lake Taupo on the way up though so at least we got to see something. 


It was then an hour and a quarters climb down to the last section of track estimated to take four hours. The path was dry which was something we hadn't seen for some few days and we kept a good pace up until the 1000km mark (WHOOP WHOOP) where I perfectly timed a dramatic fall to my arse through the last bit of wet mud in that part of the forest. But from there, the last three Kms were touch going! The steepest slopes I've climbed up and down on this trail so far and detours around huge fallen trees that involve mostly bushwhacking or climbing over ginormous trunks - thank god it was dry! (The number of fallen trees we see on the track really freaks me out but I'm not allowed to tell Luke that any more because I keep saying it every time I see one on the ground... so I'll write it on here instead!) 


Despite he tough parts though, I think this part has been my favourite forest so far. The trees all bend and weave around one another and are covered in hanging green moss from top to bottom - it's like something from a Snow White film. 


We got to the Waihaha hut nice and early around 3pm so washed our undies in the stream (Luke had a good plunge in up to his neck but couldn't breathe for the cold so had to get out again) and then we did yoga in the sunshine with a cup of tea and a few chocolate biccys! 


The men are now getting a fire going - hopefully a bigger hut and having our own beds means we won't have a replay of last nights rubbish sleep - and I'm feeling all chuffed with myself for reaching 1000km - one whole third of the way!! 


Also, however, worrying about mum worrying about me - the last I spoke to her, I told her we were having a rest in Te Kuiti but then, when we changed our minds, we had to move quickly and I didn't have time to let her know and haven't had service since. Have been sending spots so hopefully she hasn't contacted Auckland Heart radio yet but would love to get service and let her know we're all good! We might be waiting until Taramanui.... sorry Mum and Dad!


Have actually been struggling for the past week or so to find the motivation to walk - I thought it was because of having had injuries and being poorly, but I actually think it's because we were nearing December. Have been thinking (and dreaming) a lot about home and the traditions we have over Christmas time and it's hard being away from it all. I am singing Christmas songs as I walk and WILL be picking myself up an advent calendar in the next town so that I'm not totally out of the Christmas spirit though - hoping everyone at home are trying their best to make Christmas puds as good as mine... 

No comments:

Post a Comment