Saturday 10 December 2016

Taramanui - Whakapapa Bridge (23.5km)



Today I lost a toe nail, shrunk at least an inch in height due to a whole day of road walking and lost probably half of my own body weight in sweat. 


I didn't get a phone call from home because we are trying to work out whether or not it eats up my data but it was just as well since we had a morning of running around like headless chooks here in Tauramanui (that's what they call chickens here). 


We walked the 4km from the holiday park back in to town to buy our resupply for the Whanganuii river and send it to the canoe hire company. It cost $46 to send but it beats carrying it from here all the way - my bag is the heaviest it's ever been and I feel it! But Luke is being a gentleman and every time we stop, he lifts the bag up for me so I don't have to bend down to pick it up and then picks my poles up so I don't have to balance the bag on my back while I kneel to get them... brownie points there! 


We had to ask Renee to bail us out yet again because our credit card hadn't cleared (despite being told it had) - she drew us some cash out to get us by for the next few days so we're repaying with squares of chocolate and washing her dishes when she's not looking! 


Once all the usual city mayhem was over, we hitched back to the holiday park, collected our bags and begun the short but impossible walk to our camp for the night.


The walk was all on road again which was fine but it was SO hot!! Luke and I had to break several times and sit under any shade we possibly could just to get by. When we finally reached the cafe on Owhango we rested up for a good hour with a coffee and an ice cream until we found it in us to walk the final 3km to Whakapapa bridge. 


We dipped our feet in the river and had a wash in the cold water which was lovely and spent the rest of the evening relaxing in the sun before bed... we're just hoping this good weather lasts for the Tongariro crossing to come... 


(My toe nail, by the way, has been black since the first day. I've been waiting for it to come off all this time so it's not completely bad.. I just wish I hadn't painted my toe nails because now it looks like I have a toe missing!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment