Monday 26 December 2016

Camp A - Te Matawhai Hut (15km)

Today was one of the best days in forest yet! Firstly, I'm sure I saw a glow worm last night. Luke and I both got up to go to the toilet and when we were coming back to the tent, there was a small light just slowly flashing on and off. We watched it for a while to try and work out what it was but I eventually got a bit creeped out and jumped back in the tent with all the zips done up... sure it was a glow worm though! 


Secondly, the track from the camp site up to the hut we're in tonight was the most wild and rugged track we've tackled yet- it was incredible! 


There were probably eight or nine river crossings all together- the first few I took my boots off and waded through in my Tevas but he last few, Luke would jump in the water before I could argue and lay rocks out so I could pass without getting my boots wet. Think he's after my extra muesli bars! 


On the last crossing, we walked along the bank and over a huge rock slide - the boulders were probably 4 meters high and wide. We climbed up the bank and followed a ridge for some time. When we reached the top of the ridge, we looked back at the path we'd just climbed. It was probably only 3 meters wide with huge overhangs on both sides down to huge rock slides. If I had seen the path from this angle, I'd never have walked it! As we carried on, there were big clearings where trees had been ripped up by the roots. The path took us right where the trees would have stood so that either side of us there were walls of fallen trees and clumps of mud tangled with their roots. It was actually really scary walking past it all and seeing what could happen should the weather turn bad or something ...but also fascinating to actually see it as well! 


There were a few sections that were really tough climbing and for the last climb where we rejoined the official TA track, we were as high as 940m. We had some incredible views of the Tararua range and of the Matawhai hut where we were staying- we could see smoke coming from the chimney which we were very excited about! 


We arrived at the hut and were welcomed by two Austrians, Christina and Marvin, and Paul from Iceland. They taught us how to play the card game 'shit head' and we played several games before finally calling it a night at 8.30! (It was quite a nice hut besides the mouldy mattresses! I made sure my entire body stayed in the sleeping bag all night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment